We’re thrilled to announce the launch of WeDo™ (pronounced wee-doo) — the West Downtown Cultural District in Minneapolis! It’s a place to celebrate arts, culture and everything that makes our city unique. We’re also excited to share with you our inaugural edition of the WeDo newsletter!
With Hennepin Avenue at its center, the district spans 1.7 miles end-to-end –all of it walkable with a comfortable pair of shoes. Follow Hennepin Avenue, from the Walker Art Center to the river, and between First Avenue and Nicollet Mall.
WeDo is a place, but it takes teamwork to make it a destination. Hennepin Theatre Trust is leading efforts to realize the long-term vision for this unique arts and cultural district, in close partnership with the Walker Art Center, Artspace and the City of Minneapolis.
Keep an eye out today for volunteers and staff in colorful WeDo shirts, hats and scarves (you won’t be able to miss them!). We’ll be in select locations throughout the day – both on the street and in the skyways to greet the thousands of people who work and visit downtown.
We’ll be in locations like the City Center atrium and skyway; and along Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall between 5th and 9th streets. We’ll be most active in the district during these times:
- 7:30 – 9:00 a.m.
- 12:00 –1:00 p.m.
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Check out a few of our key events today:
- Free coffee, courtesy of Peace Coffee, from 7:30 – 9:00 a.m. at six locations in WeDo
- On-the-street giveaways of WeDo travel mugs, apparel and more – plus certificates to shows, performances, restaurants and more (while supplies last)
- Free 30-minute MovementWise classes at the Cowles Center for Dance & the Performing Arts, starting at 11:30 a.m.
- Brave New Workshop improv games: look for the rolling whiteboards along Hennepin between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Free historic theatre tours – 12:00 p.m. or 2:00 p.m. start time (meet at the State Theatre on 8th and Hennepin)
More exciting news about WeDo is on the way!