It’s St. Patrick’s Day … and the West Downtown MPLS Cultural District (WeDo™) is turning all sorts of green.
As you enjoy festive eats and drinks (donned in your fav green attire) or simply spend quality time with good company, here are five fun facts to help liven up the conversation … and show you’re “in-the-know” about WeDo (btw, these make for great trivia):
- Originally known as Central Park, Loring Park was almost the site of our State Capitol.
- First Avenue was once an Art Deco Greyhound bus station. Today, its wall of stars (there are 421 of them) is a local icon … and primo selfie spot.
- The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is the largest urban sculpture garden in the country, spanning 11 acres.
- The first bridge to cross the Mississippi River was placed where today’sHennepin Avenue Bridge sits … you can still see the anchor stones of the original bridge.
- The librarians at the iconic Minneapolis Central Library are busy – they answer as many as 900,000 inquiries a year!
And with spring green blossoming everywhere (hooray!), it’s a terrific time to get out and explore all the unique things WeDo has to offer. There’s a lot – and you’re in luck. We’ve curated a pot of golden ideas from some creative folks who’ve got the inside scoop about things to do in WeDo.